Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Deception island

    January 9, 2023 in Antarctica ⋅ 🌧 1 °C

    You can tell we are back to less calm waters as my original wake up call was the waves at 4.30am. We did however wake up dry and safe on board the ship, which we were told would not have been the case if we had gone camping (the storm winds would have been around 65mph at the planned campsite). However, every cloud has a silver lining and as we were able to travel through the night, at about 7.30am we arrived at deception island. Originally a whaling site that was occupied during the summer months, it later became a research site. The UK established several research bases here during world war 2 as they were worried that the Nazi's would set up base here instead. (Other counties including Chile also established base here). As deception Island is an active volcano, both Chile and UK research stations were eventually abandoned after 2 eruptions occured during the space of 2 years.

    At deception we were able to take some walks to view points and walk around the abandoned buildings which were essentially a time capsule. We also were lucky enough to see more penguins and a leapard seal (uncommon as in the antarctic they are more likely to lay on ice than a beach). If you put your hands into the sand or water you could feel the heat from the magma below the surface.

    After some lunch, and a change in location (to cooler waters) we were able to take part in a polar plunge. One by one we were attached to a waist strap and we were able to take a jump off the gangway into the Antarctic ocean. It probably goes without saying that it was cold...
    Parker, Shelby and I stayed in the mudroom still in our swimming costumes and wrapped in a towel to be cheerleaders for every single person that jumped (we think it was over 100).

    After that, it was to the recap and next day brief. Sadly, we are now about to head back and expect to hit the drake crossing tonight (it's not looking as nice as the way out). However, for or cheerleading duties earlier in the day, the crew also gave us two free bottles of wine. TBC how Dramamine and wine mixes, could be good, could be not so good!

    Evening activities involved a quick quiz, a game of antarctic two truths and one lie (do you know what a lurker is? Or doomix?) And then to the bar for the ship band!

    Tomorrow is a drake day so my hopes are not high, but at the same time, I'd give anything (even the drake) to stay on this adventure for a little bit longer!
    Read more