Satellite
  • Day 59

    Autumn forest colours - a tale of fungi

    May 8, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    We're about to leave Autralia which, apart from many other things, also means that we'll be approaching summer instead of winter soon. Time for a tribute to autumn.
    Spring and autumn in Brisbane were very short periods of time and since it never really got cold, there were only few things to marvel at. At least in autumn.
    This season, we had the chance to fully experience autumn in Australia. First in Tassie and now in Melbourne, too. And it's a beautiful season. Not as wet as it would be in Germany, there are so many things to appreciate outside. The golden rays of sunlight, the changing leave colours, the cooler breezes challenging the ones still clinging on to their summer wardrobe and encouraging the others to switch over to the warmer clothes.
    This year, I've been particularly impressed by all the mushrooms and lichen. Vivi, my sister, had amazing stories to tell (of one-cell fungi spreading meters wide over a forest surface for example) and more than once we've found ourselves hunting for the most beautiful mushroom, eyes firmly directed to the ground, fallen logs or dead branches. The beauty of mushroom hunting is, once you've found it, it won't run away. All the time in the world to get the best shot. And trust me, we discovered a whole new world! Amazing colours and shapes, surprising locations and so much fun. Have a look yourself!
    Read more