Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Agadir

    February 10 in Morocco ⋅ 🌬 19 °C

    We've just been tapping away to a group called The Decades in the Britannia Lounge playing music from the 60s . Susan says that I have lived a sheltered life because there was some well known stuff that I claim never to have heard. I did know some tracks. They were very good musicians.
    We quite liked Agadir. It had some atmosphere and although a seaside resort with few buildings of interest due to an earthquake in 1960, it exhibits many of the cultural aspects of daily life that one associates with Morocco. We visited the Kasbah to view the fishing port below, the crescent shaped beach and the Atlas foothills. Also the inevitable camels provided for tourists.
    We were indoctrinated into the merits of argan oil which is produced in this region from the low growing almond like fruit of the unattractive argan tree ( more like a shrub really). Production of the oil is not yet mechanised but is made by women grinding the nut kernels in a pestle to give a paste that is then hand squeezed.
    The Soukh here is large but, being February, very quiet. We bought some ceramics and had another go at haggling. We were advised to reduce initial price down to a third but this is very hard work with practiced vendors and only managed a 30% reduction. Quite fun though.
    A brief walk along the Corniche reveals a lovely beach and surfing waves but it was very windy and the fine sand was being carried in the air . Susan likes mint tea.
    We ate fish and chips on the sundeck today as a late lunch and spent the rest of the day taking in the sun, reading or doing the ironing!!
    Read more