Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Day 25-Honolulu

    March 20, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    Dani took Andrew to work early, then ran. She got called into her school to get training for online teaching starting April 1 if they are not back in school. It was a beautiful sunny day today, at last, so Larry and I walked down to waikiki Beach. Today there were yellow caution tapes blocking access to the beach, no lifeguards. But there were still lots of people on the beach so we joined them for a bit to soak up some sun. Apparently Hawaii law allows you to cross a beach even if it is closed, to access the ocean. Weird, I know, so we kept our feet in the water and just walked across the beach.
    After lunch, Dani took us out Sightseeing. We started out at Hawaii's National Memorial Cemetary. It is also called the Arlington of the Pacific. It is a military cemetary in a volcano crater with fantastic views of Honolulu. It was impressive, beautiful and sobering. Most locals call it the "Punchbowl". Then we drive to Fort Island and walked a bit, saw a memorial to the USS Utah that sank during WW2 bombing. On the other side of the island we saw the USS Missouri but it is closed. We also saw the USS Arizona Pearl Harbor memorial from a distance across the harbor as it is also closed to visitors. Then we stopped at panda express and picked up dinner for us and for Andrew and headed to his ship. He had a 24 duty until 8am tomorrow but had time for a visit from us. He took us on a tour of the USS Wayne E Meyer and spent over an hour showing us where the sailors eat, and and where the officers eat, and where he stands when he drives the ship. The ship is being readied to go into dry dock for extensive repairs and won't be done until next February. This was another highlight of the trip, to see Andrew's ship. And hearing all he has to know and the responsibilities he has makes me a very proud mama. No photography was allowed of the ship so no pictures of DDG 108.
    Each day we are seeing fewer people out on the streets and traffic has gotten progressively lighter as the week passed. Our resort is now at 50% occupancy. We have not heard that there will be any travel restrictions that will affect our return home. We fly out on Monday to CA.
    Read more