Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 8 in Malawi

    May 18, 2023 in Malawi ⋅ 🌙 63 °F

    This morning we returned to Dzaleka to visit Grace and see how the new machines were working out. There were six machines, all humming away. One of their older machines was not working, and I looked to see what the problem was. Couldn't figure it out but will discuss it Saturday with a machine parts guy to see if they know how it might be fixed. We have to return to the shopping area, Area 2, where we went last Friday to get the machines. I was assured that good, strong belts were included with the machines, but when they were assembled, no belts were found in the packaging. So the man we bought them from is giving us four belts as compensation. But it means another trip to Area 2, which is daunting.
    The good news, as we knew it would be, was that those using the new machines had made temporary belts by making a string out of a strip of fabric(pics below), which worked well. But it is temporary, only lasts a couple of weeks at best. The strong leather ones can last more than two years. Then they asked me to help some beginners get started, so we started with just getting the feel of the treadle. It takes some precise to get the feel of it. Then they get a piece of lined notebook paper and have to practice running the paper through the machine, without thread. The needle punches holes in the paper and they have to keep the row of holes in the line on the paper. I had 2 men and 2 women getting their first sewing lesson. They have a couple of teachers there who will continue to teach them tailoring. Today while I was sewing, one of the ladies made a dress for Roberta. It fit her beautifully.
    We stopped on the way to the YWAM base at a restaurant in the camp for a lunch of rice and beans and greens. It was tasty and was less than $2. The restaurant was just an 8x10 room with a few tables and benches.
    At the YWAM base, Roberta got on a video call to Baltimore to introduce some of her friends to the YWAM director and his wife. Then Roberta had a hard conversation with Trason about the lady we visited yesterday who is paralyzed and has been approved for leaving the camp for the US. It is difficult to describe the complexities of the issue and all the challenges faced by these refugees- human trafficking is rampant, people think nothing of stealing from their neighbors, sanitation and running water is minimal, most have to carry water from a central well for cooking, bathing, drinking. Many have no way to earn an income and are always hungry. Small children wander alone everywhere, I guess they know where they are going. It is impossible to imagine the horror that brought them there, and the despair of being there.
    We privileged ones get to drive away to a nice home and plenty to eat and flush toilets. Lilongwe even has a Mexican restaurant, where we stopped for margaritas and chips and guacamole on the way home.
    After a light supper, I got back to the cushions, I got the first one cut out and will start sewing tomorrow afternoon. I also spent time prepping for Sunday's project.
    Read more