Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Day 10 in Malawi

    May 20, 2023 in Malawi ⋅ 🌙 64 °F

    I am halfway through my time here! It is going too quickly. This morning we drove back to Area 2 shopping district to get the belts for the sewing machines, thread and zippers for the cushions and a few more supplies for tomorrow's project. We were back by noon, and I spent a few hours getting the final preparations for tomorrow. I have no idea how this will go, but it is what was requested of me. We will see. Then we went to a big party for Roberta's friend Val, who I mentioned on Day 3. The theme was "Out of Africa," and it was a potluck picnic out in a field. There were lights, firepit containers, and so much food. Val was making the rounds and speaking with all her friends, 40-50 or so. And that was about half of who was invited. She has many friends who all care about her a great deal. She came to Africa over 60 years ago to work in telecommunications. It was such a nice time. We watched the sunset, looked at the stars, ate so much good food and then had to drive home in the dark. It is so much worse than during the day. There are no streetlights, there are still people on bicycles, walking, on motorbikes all the while still having to dodge the many, many big potholes in the road- and traffic was still heavy at 7pm on Saturday night. It is nerve-wracking and exhausting for Roberta and for her passenger!
    We made it home and were in bed early so we can go to her regular church service at 7:30am🫨🫨😴🥱
    Read more