Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Day 15 - in Zambia

    May 25, 2023 in Zambia ⋅ ☀️ 88 °F

    We had a 5am wake-up shout outside our chalet, with coffee and a muffin at 5:30am. Then across the river for our second game drive at 6 am. In a matter of minutes, we saw a herd of impala, and nearby a Hyena strolled casually through the same field. Then elephants, giraffes, and zebras, with many close-up encounters. A highlight today was a lioness, sunning on a sandy riverbed. The other highlight was several sightings of the lilac-breastfed roller bird-SO pretty.
    We had breakfast at 10am after we got back and had time to relax until lunch at 2pm. I sat in the open chalet and read for awhile. No reliable internet so I can't do much with my phone. So I am writing my posts and will upload them all when we are back in Lilongwe.
    Our evening drive was good, we saw 2 male lions napping. Drove around some more, and at dusk we went back to see if they had wakened, and there they were, looking at all the safari vehicles surrounding them. They both stood up, and sauntered away to start their nightly prowl. Then we drove to see 3 female lions and three cubs. As the safari vehicles pass on the one lane rutted roads, the drivers tell each other where the "good" animals are. There are usually 6-10 different safari trucks on any given drive.
    All the animals in this park are native to the park, and no animals have been brought in. This is their home. There are no fences to keep them in, but a river borders one whole side.
    One more game drive, then the long drive back to Lilongwe. Then only three more days in Malawi ☹️
    Read more