Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Last day in Malawi

    May 29, 2023 in Malawi ⋅ 🌙 61 °F

    Today is my last full day in Malawi. We did a couple of errands in the morning, including stopping at Ethiopian Airlines office to confirm some changes they made on my ticket. Stopped for lunch, then headed to Dzaleka one last time. I spent some time talking with a young lady who is on the YWAM team. She is from Democratic Republic of Congo and was kidnapped when age was 18 by militants, but somehow managed to escape. She hitchhiked and was picked up by a couple of truck drivers, and while she didn't say it, inferred that there was some "payment" for the ride. When they got to a border, the drivers went to show passports, etc, and left her there waiting for them to return, but they never did. She had nothing, no ID, passport, money. Didn't know where she was. There were others stranded there in similar situation, so Malawi police were called and made arrangements for them all to be transported to Dzaleka Refugee Camp. She has been there ever since- 6 YEARS. Has applied for resettlement and now just waits for her request to be approved. Once they are approved, they then wait for an assignment to a new country. She loves the ministry at YWAM and has been there for 4 years, working with women, widows, disabled, and young girls- teens(her favorite). But her dream is to be a doctor. And she would love to get married and have children. So much unknown, but she has hope and joy. Won't you remember to pray for Dorcas when you think of her story? There are over 50,000 people at Dzaleka and EVERY ONE OF THEM HAS A HORROR STORY that brought them to the camp. It is sobering to think about the trauma, the despair, the poverty, the frustration of these people.
    Next, we went into the village just outside the camp and next to the YWAM base. Over 20 women showed up for Bible study, led by Roberta today. But first, they sang. Their joyful worship makes me so happy. I said my goodbyes to my new friends, and we headed back to Lilongwe. Roberta wanted to go out to celebrate my last night. There are only one or two restaurants on her side of town that stay open for supper. So we were back at La Cantina mexican restaurant. The food is so good!
    It has been an amazing and wonderful almost 3 weeks here and I hate to see it end. Thanks for coming along for the ride. Now 2 days and 4 flights to get home Wed evening.
    Read more