Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 1

    February 9 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 33 °C

    Hi All,
    Another year, another river trip! This time the Darling River in outback NSW.
    Arrived in Brewarrina this morning after a long 2 day drive through Broken Hill and Cobar. A big big thankyou to co-pilots Claire and Will in getting me up here and helping me set off.
    The river is flowing at about 2000 ML/d which is great considering it has only been around 300 the last few months. Sounds a lot, but not as much as the 5000 the Murrumbidgee typically has and the 10000 the Murray typically has (and up to 150000 in flood).
    Brewarrina has the Aboriginal fish traps which are an arrangement of large rocks in the river bed to trap fish. At 30,000 years old they are the oldest recorded man made structures on earth. We couldn't see them unfortunately as they were underwater with the high river flow.
    I am on the Barwon River at the moment. It becomes the Darling at the confluence with theCulgoa River down near Bourke. It is only about 30 metres wide but mercifully free of big snags so far.
    Goats, pigs, cattle, sheep, emus and alpacas all seen on the riverbanks. No humans!
    Mark
    Read more