Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Prague 5th - 7th May

    May 6, 2018 in Czech Republic ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Waking up to sunshine and heat is something I could get used. We’ve been so lucky with the weather😁🌞 Today it is hot outside with temperatures in the 20’s so choice of attire was slightly different to the 2 previous destinations! We didn’t have any food in our apartment so we had to skip breakfast and decided we would just have brunch instead.

    We hopped on the underground, now understanding the system, with an app that takes you through getting place to place step by step (what would we do without modern technology). With the underground they have a system whereby you buy a 3 day pass and stamp it the first time you travel to validate it. We suddenly noticed we had stamped ours the wrong way round so every trip on the train after that we were praying no one asked to see our tickets, avoiding being fined. 😂

    Once in the centre of Prague we crossed over the river to find a nice cafe where we then sat and had lunch. In the distance we could see Prague castle and so when we had finished our meal we thought we would go and explore. After a steep walk up to the castle we were met with some incredible views of Prague looking down on all the terracotta roofs. On our way up there we saw a man with doves on both his arms giving them a drink out of a water bottle.

    As you enter the castle grounds you get searched and are more than aware of the massive guns the police and guards are holding 😬 After a quick stop to buy some water (feeling rather dehydrated after the climb) we started to explore. We started off by looking around the Old Royal Palace which was the original residence building built in the 9th century. Next it was into St Vitus Cathedral which was stunning! The stain glass was more vibrant than I’ve ever seen before and the scale of the building was incredible. After a quick coffee break, whereby Katie and Leah ordered ice coffee which came out as ice cream with a shot of coffee and then cream on top, we had a look in St George’s Basilica before wandering down Golden Lane, a lane which was once inhabited by defenders of the castle and servants.

    We spent much of the afternoon at the castle. On our list of things to do was to have cocktails overlooking Prague so we found a roof terrace (part of a very posh hotel) where we sat in the sun having cocktails with the clock tower behind us overlooking the old town square. Next on our agenda was to go straight back to the sweet shop we had previously found and get some to take home (not sure if they will make it home yet 😝) Walking around Prague we had noticed these unusual looking things called trdelnik. They look like a doughnut and are filled with ice cream. It seemed only right to try the local delicacy.. our thoughts... nothing special 😂 We had also noticed a lot more bars and clubs during the day which we had missed the night before and so we went into ‘one club’ (that’s the name of the place) for a glass of wine and to listen to the DJ. We noticed a sign on the door saying club night 22.30pm and so that was it our evening was decided.

    Back to the apartment we went to get ready, have a drink and sing along to the only English radio we could find on the TV before heading straight back to the club for a night of dancing 💃🏻 We had the best night and ended up being more or less the last people in there. After a quick McDonald’s (how you end every night out) we realised the public transport had stopped running and so we had a 25 minute walk up a very steep hill back to the apartment although time seemed to go pretty fast. 😂 It was straight into bed and I’m pretty sure we were asleep the moment our heads hit the pillow.
    Read more