Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Blown away

    February 5, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We drove from the middle of nowhere to another place in the middle of nowhere to do either 22 or 34 km of a rail trail on mountain bikes. The route was a former train track so it was not challenging at all, even though we had a strong wind. I chose to opt for the 22 km option as I didn't find biking that enjoyable, the views were good though.
    Back at our accommodation we watched The Return of the King, kind of cool watching that movie in New Zealand.
    After the movie Maggie, Andi, and I went for a walk, as we walked away from the accommodation we didn't feel the wind as it came from behind.
    After about 40 minutes of walking we came upon 6 sheep who had ventured out of there paddock, so we tried to herd them towards a hole in the fence. However we never found the hole. We did manage to get them to jump the fence.
    We walked to the top of a small hill, and now we felt the wind full on. When we opened our wind breakers, we could almost lean against the wind, and when we jumped the wind carried us a little bit.
    On the way home we had the wind straight in our faces, kind of tiring.
    Again we came upon sheep on the wrong side of the fence, and again we managed to get them back home.
    Read more