Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Il Bivacco Frasassi, Genga

    September 28, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Getting to our accommodation after our day of sight-seeing was quite an adventure. It wasn't in the main town of Genga but off a road beforehand in a little commune. The road to our B&B was in fact a laneway and we had to manoeuvre a maze of very tight laneways to get there. It was an experience but Brad mastered the driving very well and at the very top of the hill was our very cute accommodation for the night.

    Our hosts weren't onsite when we arrived but had made sure the fire was burning and our apartment was ready. It had actually started to cool down after the heat we had been experiencing and it was very nice. Our apartment had a real homely feel and it had everything we needed for our night's stay. We quickly dumped our bags and headed out to explore this little piece of heaven we had found ourselves in.

    The quaint houses were made of stone and as we stepped out of our accommodation we came face to face with the local church. We wandered down the stone lanes, admired the breathtaking views, visited the Piazza Coriolano Bruffa and the remains of a tower, and fell in love with the area. This is what I imagined country Italy to be.

    We decided to try the local restaurant for dinner, being quite surprised there even was a restaurant in this area due to the lack of homes and customers surrounding it. We also
    discovered Italian time, with the restaurant sign stating it opens at 7pm when that really means it opens when they feel like it. Thankfully they finally did open and we enjoyed a delicious dinner and bottle of wine before making the steep walk back up to our B&B. I must say it was one of the most authentic Italian restaurants we have been in with every wall covered with photos and art, and every surface covered with knick-knacks, a stuffed animal or two, and lots of lace curtains. It has a real Italian charm and the staff were fabulous. It was the perfect way to end a very enjoyable day.

    The next morning our lovely hostess brought us down a breakfast tray with everything we could need to start the day. The love heart coffee mugs were another cute touch. We were sad to be leaving this beautiful area and we would recommend this place to anyone visiting the region.
    Read more