Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Cascate del Mulino Terme di Saturnia

    October 2, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    We had to pack up and leave our beautiful castle today. We have loved our time at B&B Castello Di Belforte and our lovely hostess has made us feel very welcome. We have thoroughly enjoyed having this as our base and spending each day exploring this beautiful region of Italy. We were sad to be leaving but excited about the rest of our journey.

    On today’s itinerary was a visit to Cascate del Mulino Terme di Saturnia, the beautiful hot springs in Tuscany. The Terme di Saturnia are a group of springs located in the municipality of Manciano, a few kilometers from the village of Saturnia.

    The entire site was created naturally where the travertine rock pools were carved by the waterfall of sulphurous thermal waters and generated by the thermal torrent known as the Gorello.

    One legend, according to the Etruscans and Romans, was that the Terme di Saturnia were formed by lightning bolts, thrown by Jupiter. During a violent quarrel between the two mythological deities, the bolts thrown towards Saturn had missed, causing the formations.

    The sulphurous spring water, at a temperature of 37.5 °C, are well known for their therapeutic properties, offering relaxation and well being through immersion. The main thermal waterfalls are the Mill Falls, located at an old mill which was where we visited today. Free parking and free entrance was very impressive but most impressive were the springs themselves.

    I thought the place would smell from the sulphur but it wasn’t bad at all and while getting in was a bit tricky as some of the rocks were slippery, once we were in it was amazing. It was so relaxing just floating in the warm waters as they flowed around us. It was a cooler day today so getting into the warm waters was very pleasant but getting out, not so much. Thankfully we were leaving as the big crowds were arriving, making it a great first stop for the day.
    Read more