Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Duomo di Orvieto

    September 30, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    The Duomo di Orvieto is such a pretty building. I know that’s not how you would usually describe a cathedral, but this one is very pretty. While the body of the church is black stone and white marble, it is the facade that softens the look of the building with the use of soft pinks, greens and golds in the intricate columns, decorations and beautiful gold highlighted mosaics. The details are amazing.

    This is a Roman Catholic cathedral dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The building was constructed under the orders of Pope Urban IV to commemorate and provide a suitable home for the Corporal of Bolsena, a miracle which is said to have occurred in 1263 in the nearby town of Bolsena, when a travelling priest who had doubts about the truth of transubstantiation found that his Host was bleeding so much that it stained the altar cloth. The cloth is now stored in the Chapel of the Corporal inside the cathedral.

    Building began in 1290 but construction took three centuries to complete. It is not surprising these building took so long to build, but three centruries is a bit excessive.

    Inside the cathedral is fairly simple but eye catching with its black and white stripes contrasting against the two beautifully frescoed chapels, decorated by some of the best Italian painters of the period. And the organ is a piece of art itself and we were lucky enough to be there when the organist was playing. What a beautiful sound.

    This was not on our “tourist” agenda but would have to be one of the nicest cathedrals we have seen so far.
    Read more