Satellite
  • Day 36

    Scalina Spagna & Piazza di Spagna, Rome

    October 4, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    After the peacefulness of Piazza Navona it was quite a shock to enter the Piazza di Spagna, the Spanish Piazza, at the base of the famous Scalina Spagna, the Spanish Steps. It was crowded!!

    The Spanish Steps, considered one of the most romantic places in Rome, were built in 1723-1725 to connect the lower Piazza di Spagna with the upper Trinita dei Monti church that was under the patronage of the king of France. With its irregular butterfly design, the steps are lovely but I’m not sure how they can be considered the most romantic place in Rome when they are always so full of people.

    The Piazza di Spagna is at the base of the steps and features the fountain called Fontana della Barcaccia, Fountain of the longboat, built in 1627–29. Once again due to the crowds this was hard to see and appreciate. According to a legend, Pope Urban VIII had the fountain installed after he had been impressed by a boat brought here by a flood of the Tiber.

    In the piazza, at the corner on the right as one begins to climb the steps, is the house where English poet John Keats lived and died in 1821. While the piazza has many beautiful buildings it was hard to enjoy while being constantly bumped into. I am not enjoying the crowds in Rome at all and was very happy to climb the Spanish Steps and leave the square behind.
    Read more