Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Spiazzi

    September 11, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We left beautiful Lake Como today and made our way by bus to Como where we picked up our hire car. This was Brad’s first time driving on this trip and we were both a little anxious. Driving on the other side of the road in a manual car, which means the gears are on the other side, was daunting, but Brad did a great job. In all my research I hadn’t read anything about road tolls but somehow we managed to get through the ones we needed to.

    Our location for our next overnight stay was Spiazzi, a small town in northern Italy, about an hour from Verona. Thankfully most of the driving was on major roads but the drive up the hillside closer to Spiazzi was a bit scary, amazing views but scary none the less. One thing we have noticed is there has been a real haze over the area due to the heat so the sky hasn’t been as blue as we expected. Hopefully it will cool down and the haze will disappear.

    With my “brilliant” navigation and Brad’s amazing driving skills we found our accommodation without too much stress. While our accommodation at Hotel Serena was pretty basic, it was clean and had what we needed for a quick overnight stay. And the most amazing views from the veranda.

    The town itself was gorgeous and had a real charm about it. It was a town full of colour. Set high in the mountains there were views 360 degrees - only problem was the haze made it hard to see too far.

    Still a lovely spot to sit and enjoy a refreshment after our visit to the sanctuary.
    Read more