Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Cattedrale di Sant'Andrea, Amalfi

    October 11, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    With it being a cloudier day today we decided to scrap our plans of spending the day on the beach and instead we visited the Duomo di Amalfi, Cattedrale di Sant'Andrea. What a pleasant surprise this Cathedral was. Very pretty but not overdone on the outside and also unique to the others we have seen.

    Built between the 9th and 10th centuries on the ruins of a previous temple, it is now a conglomeration of two churches and a bell tower that have been modified and added to over several centuries. It houses a museum and the Cathedral and is definitely worth a visit.

    Someone asked if we were over seeing churches and old buildings but every one we have visited has had its own unique features that amaze us every time. And this one was no different.

    The lush garden of the Cloisters of Paradise was a pleasant surprise, surrounded by the white, almost Moroccan style arches, it made a pretty picture. And if you stood in just the right place you could capture a photo of the adjoining bell tower through an arched window.

    As with many other cathedrals a lot of the artwork that remain are not full pieces and we just get a glimpse of what it would have once looked like. This was the case for the upper floor of the museum but the crypt was another story.

    Completed in 1208, it holds the relics of the apostle, St Andrew, to whom the church is dedicated. The crypt has been very well preserved. With its stunningly decorated arches, beautiful chandeliers and amazing statues and alters, it was breathtaking!!

    The cathedral itself was also beautiful with arches of white contrasting against the highly decorated pulpit and naves. And of course there was the odd skull on display.

    This was worth the €3 admission (we overheard some people complaining about having to pay) and a great place to visit.
    Read more