Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Parco Scultura La Palomba, Matera

    October 14, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Today's weather was a bit overcast but there was also a layer of fog around that just wouldn't budge. When we arrived at Parco Scultura La Palomba it was still very foggy/misty (we really weren't sure which) at 10.45am. However that wasn't going to deter me from wandering around the quarry and climbing the hills to admire the piece of abstract sculpture on display here.

    Parco Sculture La Palomba is located in an abandoned quarry and is now an open-air gallery of huge sculptures, some made from the rubble of 9/11. In 2013, a world-famous sculptor named Antonio Paradiso held an exhibit in the defunct quarry that brought new life to the space. After that closed, the quarry was transformed into an open-space sculpture park containing a permanent exhibition that showcases the artist’s various works. The park also organizes temporary exhibitions and other events.

    Probably the most intriguing works on display are those made out of 20 tons of twisted metal, steel girders, and bars that were found in the rubble of the World Trade Center after 9/11. Antonio Paradiso was selected as the only Italian artist among the 9,000 artists who applied for the permission and opportunity to turn parts of the destroyed World Trade Center into art. He got the chance to personally choose which elements he used.

    La Palomba, which means “The Dove” in English and many of the pieces feature doves in one form or another. With the mist in the background the pieces were quite striking against the skyline. I enjoyed this brief stop on our journey for today.
    Read more