Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Sightseeing in Alberobello

    October 15, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    We had a lazy lie in today before hitting the streets to explore the sights of Alberobello. First stop was the Trulli church, Chiesa Sant'Antonio, the only Trulli church in the world. The church was built in the space of 14 months and was opened to the public on 13th June 1927.

    The church is built using the same technique as for the trullo, with a few modern tactics. The central dome is 19.80 metres high and the skylight accentuates it even further by another 3.20 meters. The interior is very simple raw stone and the only touch of colour is visible on the wall of the high altar, completely covered by a fresco dating back to the 20th century depicting Christ Pantocrator surrounded by saints.

    Next we made our way through the maze of trulli huts to the other side of the main street where there are fewer trulli huts and the majority of which are lived in by permanent residents. Here we visited the Alberobello Basilica of Santissimi Medici Cosmos and Damiano, yes another church. This was a much simpler cathedral to those we have visited in the past and the art work was very different. These paintings had a real stylised feel to them and were a bit monotone in colour. I liked that they were different to the norm.

    The basilica stands on a site which during the 17th century was occupied by a rural chapel named after the Madonna delle Grazie. It was later dedicated to the Santi Cosma and Damiano, patrons of the town and the current building was built between 1882 and 1885.

    We then visited the largest trulli hut in the town, Trullo Sovrano. Built during the first half of the 18th century, it is the only trullo with a raised floor and because of this it is called "sovrano" (Italian for monarch, king). Its measurements are extraordinary, with the dome 14 metres high, a sign of the great dry stone building skills reached by the trulli masters.

    During the course of the centuries the trullo was used not only as a private home, it also housed the relics of the Santissimi Medici in 1785 and for 14 years the oratory of the Confraternita del Ss. Sacramento. Because of its architectonic peculiarity the building was declared a National Monument in 1930.

    After a fun morning of sightseeing we decided to try our Italian/English at the local supermarket and bought some delicious local cheese, meat, salad and biscuits to enjoy for lunch back at our trulli. Great decision as the weather had turned and the skies were getting grey. We enjoyed a very relaxing afternoon, resting our feet, reading and snoozing. A great way to spend a cooler overcast afternoon.
    Read more