Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Grotte della Poesia, Roca

    October 16, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    The weather forecast for Alberobello today was overcast and rain so we decided it was the perfect day for a car trip further down the coast towards the heel of Italy’s boot. It was a very easy and pleasant drive.

    Our destination was the Grotto della Poesia, the Cave of Poetry, located in the small town of Roca. What we found most amazing about our drive through some of the coastal towns was the sense of abandonment they had. Everything had shut down as the tourist season was over. It was a very bizarre feeling driving through these lovely but empty towns. Roca was the same except for the local hotel but it too had a very empty feel. The good thing about it being out of tourist season was there was hardly any traffic and parking was a breeze. Bonus for us.

    Most of Italy’s coastline is rocky with intermittent sandy beach coves, incredibly clear water and many sea caves. One of the most majestic and compelling is the Grotte della Poesia, a 30 metre wide sinkhole at the edge of the sea.

    Grotte della Poesia is said to have been a favorite swimming spot for an ancient princess, the sight of her swimming there inspired poets - thus the name, Cave of Poetry. Visitors nowadays come mainly to take leaps from its 5 metre cliffs into the clear waters, to scuba dive, swim from the sinkhole through an underground sea cave and back out to the sea. Even though the sun was shining it was a bit too cool for a swim so we just explored the area and admired the breathtaking scenery.

    On the north side of the cove adjacent to the Grotte, is the archaeological site of Roca Vecchia, an ancient town right at the edge of the sea. There is evidence of humans living here since the Bronze Age, along with the remains of massive walls from the 4th century BC, and structures and medieval walls dating from 14th century AD.

    In one of the caves along the cliff edge is a statue of Madonna, covered with photos and momentos of people sick or gone. It amazes me what people leave at these “random” statues and why the statues are even situated in some of the places we have seen them. I guess they bring people hope and comfort and there is nothing wrong with that.

    It was a lovely way to spend the day, at the seaside, sun shining and sea breezes blowing. Another idyllic location in gorgeous Italy.
    Read more