Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Campanile di San Marco, Venice

    September 14, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Although we hadn’t planned to visit the Campanile di San Marco, St Mark’s Campanile, we decided to take advantage of the short line-up while we were there and check it out. This is the bell tower of St Mark's Basilica and is located in the Piazza San Marco. It is one of the most recognizable symbols of the city.

    The tower is 98.6 metres tall and houses five bells. The belfry is topped by a cube, alternate faces of which show the Lion of St. Mark and the female representation of Venice, la Giustizia: Justice. The tower is capped by a pyramidal spire, at the top of which sits a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel.

    The initial 9th-century construction was built on Roman foundations and was used as a watch tower or lighthouse for the dock, which then occupied a substantial part of the area which is now the Piazzetta.

    The Campanile suffered damage by lightning on many occasions. It was severely damaged in 1388, set on fire and destroyed in 1417 and seriously damaged by another fire in 1489 that destroyed the wooden spire. It was rebuilt in 1514 thanks to restorations made to repair further damage caused by an earthquake in 1511. The current tower was reconstructed in its present form in 1912 after it had been destroyed by the fall of the Campanile in 1902.

    Thankfully we didn’t have to climb any stairs to get to the top and the elevator was quick and easy. The views were amazing from every side. I really love Venice and seeing her in all her glory was fabulous.
    Read more