Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Piazza San Marco, Venice

    September 14, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    As we were changing accommodation today, we didn't venture too far from the Cannaregio area until we were able to check into our apartment for the next few nights. And what a nice apartment it was. Lots of room and beautifully decorated. A big change from last night's accommodation. We spend a lovely morning just exploring the lanes and alleyways and enjoyed a delicious lunch in one of many cafes.

    This afternoon, once the day got a little cooler, we made our way over to the Piazza San Marco in hopes of visiting San Marco Basilica. We were determined to see inside the basilica this visit.. However, it was not to be – not only was there still a long line up, it also closed in fifteen minutes. We knew we wouldn’t make it in in time so with plans to try again another day, we wandered around the Piazza instead, admiring the beauty of the square.

    Piazza San Marco, as we know it, is actually two piazzas, Piazza San Marco and the Piazzetta which is the part that extends towards the lagoon. Together they form the social, religious and political centre of Venice. There are so many photographic moments in the piazza with each building being an amazing work of design and architecture. This was one of those places that I was so disappointed that I didn’t have my good camera with its fabulous zoom lens. Still there was so much to just admire and be amazed at.

    At the eastern end of the piazza is the great church of St Mark, San Marco Basilica, which has such a beautifully, elaborate façade with its huge arches and marble decorations and amazing statues. The four horses on its roof overlooking the whole piazza are very impressive. Such an amazing building to admire and photograph.

    One of my favourites is the Clock Tower, Torre dell’Orologio, completed in 1499. Topped with two great bronze figures, one old and the other young to show the passing of time, that strike the hours on a bell. Below that is a statue of the Winged Lion of Saint Mark with an open book. The next level contains statues of the Virgin and Child in gilt beaten copper, with two large panels on either side showing the time, the hour on the left in Roman numerals and the minutes on the right in Arabic numerals. And below that is my favourite part, the great clock face in blue and gold inside a fixed circle of marble engraved with the 24 hours of the day in Roman numerals. There is so much detail in the clock itself that make it one of the memorable monuments of the piazza.

    The other two buildings that always get my attention are the Doge’s Palace and the National Library of St Mark’s, both situated in the Piazzetta. The Doge’s Palace, Palazzo Ducale, the residence of the Doge of Venice, was originally built in 810. However, no trace remains of that 9th century building as the palace was partially destroyed in the 10th century by a fire. The reconstruction was undertaken from 1172 to 1178 with many changes made over the years as it was partially destroyed three more times by fires. Now a museum, this building is a work of art itself, with its striking Gothic style exterior made from patterned brick and complete with elaborate arches and sculptures.

    The National Library of St Mark’s, Biblioteca Marciana, is one of the earliest surviving public manuscript depositories in Italy, holding one of the greatest classical texts collections in the world. The building began in 1537 and was completed in 1553 and is a building full of so many details that make it so unique from the ground floor arches to the roofline of classical nude statues by various artists. It is a feast for the eyes, and it takes some time to appreciate its amazing structure.

    The two bronze statues on large granite columns at the entrance of the piazza are also worth a mention. One is the Lion of Venice, an ancient bronze winged lion sculpture that symbolizes the city and was erected between 1172 and 1177. The Lion in its present form is a composite of different pieces of bronze created at very different times, showing the extensive restoration and repair work from various times. It has been concluded that the Lion itself was created between the end of the 4th and the beginning of the 3rd centuries BC and was likely significantly different to the Lion of today, and, predating Christianity, would not have originally had any association with Saint Mark.

    The other statue that always intrigues me, is of St. Theodore of Amasea, the first patron of the city, a Greek warrior saint, and the first chapel of the Doge was dedicated to him. Built about 819, this statue represents him holding a spear and standing on a crocodile to represent the dragon which he was said to have slain. Today it is made up of parts of antique statues and is a copy, with the original being kept in the Doge’s Palace. It was the crocodile that always puzzled and amused it, especially with such regal looking statues everywhere else, this one always felt a bit less serious.

    The Piazza San Marco IS Venice and it is always such an amazing feeling to be standing there amongst such beautiful historic buildings. Brad gets the tingles from the Leaning Tower of Pisa, but Piazza San Marco gets me every time.
    Read more