Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Duomo di Siena

    September 27, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Next up was into the amazingly beautiful, Gothic Duomo di Siena, a medieval church originally designed and completed between 1215 and 1263. Built in the form of a Latin cross, the interior and exterior is constructed of white and greenish-black marble in alternating stripes with the addition of red marble on the façade. It is a truly striking building! I could spend hours photographing and admiring the exterior of this building, let alone the interior. The statues and gargoyles that adorn the façade are so detailed and interesting, and the three large mosaics on the gables glisten in the sunshine. It really is a remarkable building.

    This is one of the Cathedrals that is just as elaborate on the inside as it is on the outside and there is so much that draws your eye. I just didn’t know where to look first.

    Usually I look up first but this time I just had to look down as the floors are the most impressive and beautiful of the treasures the cathedral holds. The floors are decorated with the art of mosaics, using various techniques, to create storytelling masterpieces. There are 56 etched and inlaid marble panels, designed by 40 of the leading artists between 1369 and 1547, all from Siena. Completion of the designs took six centuries, with the last ones finished in the 1800s. They are amazing and once again I am amazed at the intricacy of the work.

    The interior of the duomo is filled with amazing works of art created by famous Italian artists, and some of the works that once belonged in the Cathedral are now in museums and galleries in Siena and Florence. From the beautiful stained-glass windows, the marble high alters, the frescoes on the ceilings and the walls, the amazing candelabras, the rich and detailed paintings, the beautiful wooden choir stalls, there was so much to see and admire, and be in awe of. I think this is one of the most elaborate churches we have been in so far.
    Read more