Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Battistero di San Giovanni, Siena

    September 27, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Right next to the Crypt was the Battistero di San Giovanni, the Baptistry of St. John. Built between 1316 and 1325 by Camanio di Crescentino, it is situated at the back of the Cathedral and has its own amazing entrance.

    The interior is divided into three naves and is lined with 15th century frescoes that centre around a hexagonal baptismal font. The frescoes are truly breathtaking in their detail, the intricacy of their design, the colours, the stories. I could spend hours admiring all of them.

    The Baptismal Font is also an extraordinary work of art, made of marble, bronze and enamel. The was created between 1417 and 1431 by the greatest sculptors of the time, including Lorenzo Ghiberti and Donatello. The bronze panels surrounding the hexagonal basin depict the life of St John the Baptist, in amazing detail.

    One thing that has really amazed us on our travels so far is how different inside all the religious building have been and how stunning the artwork is. This trip has certainly reminded me of how much I enjoy and love art and I have been blown away again and again.
    Read more