Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Facciatone, Siena

    September 27, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Walking out of the Libreria and the Duomo, back into the colours of Siena, the stone and marble, was a huge contrast to what we had just viewed, and now it was time to view Siena from a different viewpoint.

    We decided to make the climb up the 131 step, narrow corkscrew stairway to walk atop the unfinished façade of the Duomo Nuovo. While it wasn’t an excessive number of steps, it was a bit of a dizzying climb as we went around and around the central column of the stairway. I was so glad to get to the top and get out in the fresh air.

    In 1339 the Grand General Council of the Bell officially approved the extension of the cathedral and construction begun. However due to various difficulties and the tremendous plague of 1348 the works were definitively interrupted in 1357. The elements that are visible today are the right nave, which houses a portion of the Opera Museum, and the front that, over time, the inhabitants have kindly called Il Facciatone.

    I have to say I was so happy I made the climb as the breathtaking panoramic views of Siena on top of the Facciatone were awe-inspiring. And seeing the Cathedral and its surrounding piazzas and buildings gave us a whole new perspective of Siena. Although going up and coming down wasn’t that enjoyable the experience was definitely worth it.
    Read more