Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Catania, Sicily - First Impressions

    October 21, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    It was a bit of an overcast day today as we left Taormina to Catania. There have been some severe storms in Sicily leading up to our time here and some of the major roads have been cut off. Due to that and Brad being over driving we decided to cancel our car and accommodation on the other side of Sicily and extended our time in Catania an extra two nights. A bit less stressful.

    We seemed to be a bit luckier today with the trains running on time and great seats for the trip. And even waiting at the Taormina train station was pleasant as it was a beautiful old building with lots to admire and photograph. The poshest train station we have been in so far.

    Arriving in Catania made me second guess my decision to stay here. As we drove towards our accommodation, the streets were littered with rubbish, bottles and vomit and graffiti covered the buildings. (I must admit I did like some of the better street art pieces, it’s the trashy graffiti that I dislike). Add the overcast sky, it made for a very gloomy first impressions. And the entrance to our accommodation was on one of these streets. I didn’t feel quite safe when we first arrived.

    However, once we got into our apartment, Casasicula, we saw the better side of Catania. Our host did not speak English so he arranged for an English speaking friend to greet us, show us the apartment and to give us ideas of what to see in the city. She was very welcoming, and the apartment is beautiful. I love the shower; it plays music while you wash. Hilarious that someone would think that is essential in a holiday rental. Our bedroom balcony looks over the Piazza Universita, and it looks clean, graffiti and rubbish free, and inviting. The rain set in as we arrived at our apartment, so we unpacked and relaxed until the bad weather had passed over before heading out to see what Catania has to offer. I’m still not sure what to expect.
    Read more