Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    The Acropolis, Athens

    October 30, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Next stop was the Acropolis and I have to admit I wanted to postpone this trip to a sunnier day as it was quite overcast and I love photographing these ancient sites against a bright blue sky whenever possible. But Brad was determined to go today.

    With a €20 entrance fee, it is the most expensive site we have visited on this whole trip but I have to admit it was an amazing feeling walking where people worked and worshipped so many centuries ago. Construction of the Parthenon commenced in 447 BC and it is amazing there is still anything left to see.

    Over the years attempts at restoration have actually caused more damage and there is major restoration work still happening. Today’s restoration processes involve replacing missing sections with temporary pieces while they search to find the original piece amongst the piles of collected original pieces. It is like a giant jigsaw and it is great to see they are attempting to restore it to its original authentic state.

    The Acropolis site also contains the ruins of many shrines and temples, including the Temple of Erechtheion built between 421 – 406 BC, and a theatre, the Odeon of Herodes Atticus built in 161 AD.

    The sheer size of these structures makes you wonder how on earth they were built without the modern machinery we have today, and the location on the top of the hill would have added to those challenges. Standing amongst these amazing structures, looking over Athens is a great feeling.
    Read more