Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Saint Anne’s Church, Vienna

    March 28, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    This evening we attended a concert by a stringed quartet at St Anne’s church. St. Anne's chapel existed since 1320 and in 1518 the Gothic church was consecrated on the occasion of Saint Anne’s Day. A relic of Saint Anne, her right hand, is exhibited in the church.

    The concert itself was an experience to remember as musicians from renowned Viennese orchestras played complete works from Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and Schubert on period instruments thus recreating the atmosphere of the golden age of the Viennese Classic Era. The way the music echoed through the church’s elaborate interior was pretty special. The only down side was the thin hard church pews that even the provided cushions couldn’t cover. We will blame the seating as to why we are not church goers.

    After the concert we tried to get dinner, but of the few places we tried, their kitchens had already closed. It was too cold to walk around town to find a place to eat, so we returned to our apartment for an apple, pretzels and a coffee. One thing we have discovered is that Vienna does not appear to have a vibrant night life or food culture. Maybe it is a seasonal thing and we are here when the weather is still too cool.
    Read more