Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    St. Stephen’s Cathedral, Vienna

    March 27, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    Final stop for today before the weather turned again was the magnificent St. Stephen's Cathedral. It is quite odd coming across it in the “shopping precinct”, nestled between another historic building and an ultra modern one.

    Founded in 1137 the partially constructed Romanesque church was dedicated in 1147 to Saint Stephen. Although the first structure was completed in 1160, major reconstruction and expansion lasted until 1511, and repair and restoration projects continue to the present day.

    St. Stephen's Cathedral has borne witness to many important events in Habsburg and Austrian history and has, with its multi-coloured tile roof, become one of the city's most recognizable symbols. The exterior of this church is adorned with stone statues, gargoyles and intricate stone work on the great tower but it’s most outstanding feature is the beautiful mosaic roof. Due to the weather it was not possible to climb the tower to see this stunning roof in more detail.

    Inside the church is not as adorned as many we have seen before but the simplicity of the many vaulted ceiling make it quite striking. There is a feeling of richness even though it isn’t filled with statues of gold. Even the stained glass windows were simple in their design. I can imagine when it isn’t filled with tourist, but instead filled with a congregation in worship it would have quite a serene feel.
    Read more