Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Charnel House, Hallstatt

    April 4, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    One of the more interesting and unique sites in Hallstatt is the Bone House (Charnel House), which has been in existence since the 12th century. As the graveyard in Hallstatt is very small and with no room to extend, the graves were opened 10 - 20 years after the burial and the skull and large bones which took up a lot of space were removed. The skull was cleaned and bleached by the sun and the moon for some weeks, until all signs of decay had disappeared and the skull took on a mild ivory colour. As the graves were decorated with flowers, the skulls finally came to be painted with floral motives by the undertaker or artists. This was seen as a sign of love. This tradition was started in 1720 AD. There is also a symbolism behind each painting with Oak leaves being the symbol of glory, Laurel meaning victory, Ivy is the symbol of life and Roses are the symbol of love.

    There are 1200 skulls placed in the Charnel House of which 610 are painted and arranged according to family names and are marked with the date of death. The last skull was placed in the charnel house in 1995. It is the skull of a woman who died in 1983 and her gold tooth is still visible. It was her personal wish to be placed in the Charnel House.

    Today, it is no longer necessary to remove bones from the graves because the number of cremations has increased sharply. However it is still possible to have your bones place here as long as you make a personal testament to this effect. After ten years of grave rest the skull is removed, chemically treated and painted.

    This is such a unique and interesting site and I love the reverence given. Situated in the peaceful cemetery overlooking the lake and the majestic mountains behind, it was well worth the visit.
    Read more