Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden, Germany

    April 6, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 5 °C

    We left Konigssee after our boat ride on the lake to make our way to our next stop, Mittenwald. We did stop for a scenic break on the way at a small town in the Bavarian Alps, Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden. It is the site of an iconic photograph for this region and a well known photo op stop.

    St. Sebastians is a Catholic Church set in the green hills with a stunning mountain backdrop and turquoise stream bubbling along in the foreground. A very picturesque view and one that is often photographed. Not only did we take the expected photo, we also took a stroll to the church itself and wandered through it’s cemetery. I do love how every town memorialises their loved ones in different ways and I find the headstones and the artistry of them so interesting. Much more unique than our cemeteries at home with their uniformed vibe. Another thing that often surprises me is their use of skeletons for signs and headstones. It is what it is and there is no hiding from that here. The most surprising use of a skeleton imagery is the comic like image over the entrance of the cemetery - it just looked so out of place with the history of the church and it’s surrounding grounds.

    The other thing we noticed is how much care is taken with the cemetery and how many were decorated for Easter, had been freshly planted and maintained. There is a real respect for those that have passed. It was a lovely place to stop and reflect.
    Read more