Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany

    April 9, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    We left Mittenwald this morning and on our way to Miltenberg we stopped to explore the town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a German town in northern Bavaria known for its medieval architecture. Half-timbered houses line the cobblestone lanes of its old town and the town walls include many preserved gate houses and towers, plus a covered walkway on top. Today it is one of only three towns in Germany that still have completely intact city walls.

    It was a very pretty town but boy was it crowded, especially after the towns we had already been to. And with me not feeling very well it was hard to really enjoy it and embrace the business. It was surprising it was so busy as being Easter Sunday all the shops, excluding cafes and restaurants, were closed.

    We did find a very traditional restaurant to have a very traditional lunch before stopping to buy a Schneeballen (which means snow ball). This pastry treat is typical of the region and has been made for the past 400 years so we just had to try one. Not sure we would rush out to try another one - it was a deep-fried pastry made from shortcut pastry sprinkled with icing sugar or coated with chocolate for a more modern version. Interesting and great to try something that has such a long history.

    We did enjoy our stop here, admiring the beautiful buildings, the lovely Easter displays and the vibrant squares. It is a town that would be nice to visit after all the day tourist leave (and yes, I know we are day tourists and contributed to the crowds).
    Read more