Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Cologne Cathedral, Cologne

    April 13, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Next to the museum is the city’s medieval Catholic Cologne Cathedral, the third-tallest church and tallest cathedral in the world. At 157 metres the ceiling just soared above us. Photos cannot capture the sheer sense of height and size in this amazing building. I don’t think we have seen so many amazing stained glass windows in a church before. They go all the way to the ceiling and there are so many different styles and patterns, it is breath-taking.

    Constructed to house the Shrine of the Three Kings, it is a globally recognised landmark and one of the most visited sights and pilgrimage destinations in Europe. It was declared a World Heritage Site in 1996 and there are so many amazing shrines, sarcophagus, altars and statues to admire. One piece is the Crucifix of Bishop Gero from the 10th century, it is the oldest known large crucifix. There is just so much to look at and be fascinated by. The history is something that is hard to get our heads around.

    The original cathedral dates back to 818 which burnt down in 1248. Construction started on the rebuild in 1248 but was not finished until 1880! While the cathedral does need a good clean, restoration has been ongoing and will be for some time. With over 20 000 visitors a day, hopefully they have the funds to complete the task.
    Read more