Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Oude Kerk (Old Church), Delft

    April 19, 2023 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Thankfully the sun was shining this morning so we hit the streets to see as much as we can before the rain starts again. First up this morning we visited the Oude Kerk, the Old Church, founded in 1246 and located in the old city center of Delft. Nicknamed Oude Jan (Old John) and Scheve Jan (Skewed John), it is a Gothic Protestant church most famous for its seventy-five meter high leaning tower and is the oldest church in Delft. In 1654, the church windows were destroyed when a nearby gunpowder depot exploded in the city.

    The thing we love with these old churches is how unique they all are, the history, and amazing architecture, the ancient artworks, and so much more. What is striking about this church is how unadorned the walls and ceilings are, with its plain white walls and wooden ceiling giving the church an expansive and empty feel. The floor is scattered with old tomb markings. It actually feels quite serene in its “plainness”. Against the plain walls the twenty-seven stained glass windows and three pipe organs are striking. The church organs date back to the years 1857 (main organ), 1873 (north aisle) and 1770 (choir). One of the two bells, the Trinitas bell, weighs almost nine-thousand kilograms and has a diameter of just over two meters, and is the largest and oldest tolling bell in the Netherlands.

    Due to its potentially damaging vibrations, the bell is only rung on rare occasions. Historically, the bell has sounded to announce disasters. Approximately four-hundred people are entombed in the Oude Kerk. Among them are the famous painter, Johannes Vermeer, and the inventor of the microscope, Anthony van Leeuwenhoek.

    What is unique here is how the city of Delft displays the history of this church, allowing tourists to learn about the history in an interesting and engaging way. It was a great start to our first full day in Delft.
    Read more