Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Delft, Netherlands

    April 18, 2023 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Today’s destination is Delft, a canal-ringed city in the western Netherlands, known as the manufacturing base for Delftware, hand-painted blue-and-white pottery. In its old town, the medieval Oude Kerk is the burial site of native son and Dutch Master painter Johannes Vermeer. Once the seat of the royal House of Orange, the 15th-century Nieuwe Kerk houses the family's tombs and overlooks Delft's lively market square.

    After our time in Amsterdam, Delft is delightfully small, pretty and charming. First stop while we waited to check in was to enjoy a very delicious lunch in one of the many enticing restaurants in town. I had a mouth watering bagel with brie, pumpkin cream and watercress and Brad tried the crab croquettes which were served on slabs of brown bread. A nice start to our stay here.

    Our home for the next three nights is an apartment above a restaurant in a 16th century building. It is one of the nicest apartments we have stayed in so far, even though it did feel funny having a key for the restaurant as that was our front door. While the stairs were a bit steep, the view from our apartment is amazing. We are going to enjoy our time here.

    While I chose to stay in and rest up (Covid has really knocked me about), Brad did an evening stroll to explore our area and I an hoping tomorrow I will be ready to see and enjoy all Delft has to offer.
    Read more