Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Maria van Jessekerk, Delft

    April 19, 2023 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    We managed to visit one more church before calling it a day (of course we did). The Maria van Jessekerk is the inner city church of the Ursula parish and has the longest history. Where the priestly choir is now, there was already a Roman Catholic church in 1733. The church was designed by Everard Margry, pupil of the well-known architect Pierre Cuypers and Margry has paid a lot of attention to details. For example, the left tower resembles that of the New Church, while the design for the right tower is derived from that of the Oude Kerk.

    Inside this church is very different to the old and the new church we visited earlier today. The walls are covered with beautiful coloured murals, the stained glass windows sparkle from all sides, the ancient pulpit and altarpiece, icons and the Maarschalkerweerd organ are so detailed and interesting. It is a rich tapestry of light and colour and we were so glad we popped in to check it out.

    We have spent a wonderful day exploring Delft and its beautiful laneways and canals but we’re happy to call it a day as the wind picked up and the weather turned colder.
    Read more