Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Victory Day, Avignon

    May 8, 2023 in France ⋅ 🌬 24 °C

    Brunch/lunch was next on our plan when we came across a military event in the piazza. As a result we ended up attending a ceremony for Victory in Europe Day, V-E Day. On the 8th of May, 1945 Nazi Germany unconditionally surrendered to the Allied Forces of the Second World War, a day that marked the end to most of the fighting in Europe, where tens of millions of service members and civilians were killed since the start of hostilities. It is so hard to imagine living through something like that and it makes us appreciate how lucky we are today.

    After watching the ceremony we did not understand we shared a very delicious savoury crepe for brunch while sat in the beautiful sunny piazza. We are loving the better weather after so many wet days. We can’t get enough of it.

    We had a last look around town before an early dinner. Brad had been eye-balling the paella, to which I kept reminding him that we would be in Spain soon, but he did not listen. We sat in one of the “tourist” restaurants and Brad ordered his paella. Needless to say it was pretty ordinary and he was very disappointed. Thankfully my watermelon and ham salad was the winner.

    Overall our stay in Avignon has been brilliant, with the highlight being yesterdays tour of Provence. Tomorrow we head to Narbonne in southern France.
    Read more