Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Morning Stroll in Salzburg

    April 4, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 0 °C

    With time to kill before the funicular opened for the fortress we stopped for a delicious breakfast of strudel at Cafe Glockenspiel, next to the Residenzplatz. It is lovely seeing the fountain and square with the blue skies and sun shining, and the fountain was even running this morning.

    Even though we walked through town yesterday, it looks so much more inviting in better weather - and of course we took more photos.

    Next to the cathedral, shining in the sunlight is another one of Salzburg’s modern sculptures and this one is striking in its contrast to its surroundings. Titled “Sphaera”, it is 9 metres high and is a male figure with a neutral expression on top of a golden sphere. Apparently this piece evokes a great range of interpretation also. I would prefer the artists actually explained the meaning behind their pieces so we can easily understand them. However it is definitely eye-catching.

    Another piece we passed on our walks this morning was a piece called the “Cloak of Conscience”. Some observers see Death – or the opposite, namely that which remains. The inscription on the base reads: “The empty mantle as a symbol of that which survives us: the love we gave, the works we created, the suffering we bore.” To me it provokes a feeling of loneliness, of being invisible. I have loved the art pieces throughout the city as some have added interest, some are thought provoking and some are just plain strange.
    Read more