Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    Cathedral of Seville

    May 25, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    After our climb to the top of the bell tower we made our way back down to walk through the Cathedral and see all that it had to offer.

    The Cathedral of Saint Mary of the See, known as the Seville Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral and one of the largest churches in the world and the largest Gothic church. It is certainly one of the biggest we have seen in our travels.

    After its completion in the early 16th century, the current cathedral was built on the site of a 12th century mosque. As with all buildings of this age changes, repairs and remodelling have taken place through the years. The cathedral was built to demonstrate the city’s wealth and it still does that today. The interior of this church is vast and impressive. The cathedral has 80 chapels and it was reported in 1896 that 500 masses were said daily in the chapels.

    I thought we should leave a trail of breadcrumbs so we could find our way back out. This has to be one of the more impressive churches we have visited with regards to what they have on display. A lot of churches don’t display all their items of interest, their treasures for the general public to see but this cathedral has so much on display. The alters and chapels are stunning and there is so much artistry on display. It is vast, it is overwhelming with its wealth and it definitely does what it set out to do - demonstrate the city’s wealth.

    We thought we may be “getting over” looking at churches but am so glad we decided to check the Cathedral of Seville out. It was breathtaking and photos don’t come close to show how amazing and magnificent this church is.
    Read more