Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Got it right this time!

    May 12 in Portugal β‹… β›… 19 Β°C

    Well, we said 23km, and it was!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    We left the albergue at about 0730 (you're usually chucked out at 0800 anyway) after a very humid night's sleep in a dorm for 6. We were all ladies so you'd have thought there wouldn't be too much snoring... hands up the guilty parties πŸ–πŸ–. Notice I said parties! It was Julie and meπŸ™„πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. But it still wasn't a bad night's sleep, and my blister had dried out a bit so a covering of melanin and we were raring to go! Connie at the albergue had reassured me that there was a café after about 15 minutes, so we didn't consider eating a first breakfast before we left. However... you guessed it, the café was closed πŸ™„πŸ˜‚. I knew there was nothing until Fão (unless some enterprising person had worked out there was a real need for a snack bar) so a Snickers for a first breakfast it was πŸ˜‹.
    Our walk took us along boardwalks, past golf clubs and allotments, then changing from boardwalk to cobbles (ouch!) until we reached Apúlia. However, there was nothing there because we were away from the seaside. Not by far, but we'd have added over a km to our walk by trying to find something open on a Sunday morning. So when we reached Fão we fell into the first open café we found and devoured some very nice cake πŸ˜‹. It was a good rest, and I removed my foot covering - too soon πŸ˜‚ - two minutes later, back on it went! But we set a good pace and continued walking over the bridge at Fão and on to Esposende, where we stopped for lunch. We were very healthy and ate a salmon salad, with no dessert! The sun was shining, but there was a lovely, gentle breeze to keep us cool. There were a few pilgrims (one carrying a guitar - we were hoping they'd be staying with us to provide a bit of entertainment πŸ˜€) and the way was well signposted.
    The rest of our walk took us through some lovely hilly areas with great houses, but no gelaterias or cafés to be found πŸ˜«πŸ˜‚. We eventually found our lovely accommodation and, after a shower and a clothes wash, bimbled out for our beer πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘. We then ordered a pizza each for supper with, of course, a beer!
    Tomorrow (and the days afterwards) are due to be very wet indeed, so we'll be packing up extra carefully in the morning. Everything will be triple protected. We hope...
    Ooohhh, and just listen to those 🐸s πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Read more