Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Paris - always magnificent

    June 26, 2023 in France ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Unbelievably we woke up at 11am. Our hotel is so quiet and comfortable that we just slept in late like never before.

    We are staying a great spot. Classic Paris hotel of five floors and the tiniest lift you have ever seen. Room for one and a bag!

    Plenty of restaurants and shops so we grabbed some brunch and decided to walk to the Arc de Triomphe.

    Along the way we stopped at the Princess Diana tribute over the tunnel where she lost her life. There are hundreds of padlocks on the chain around the memorial. Sad moment.

    The Arc was really busy, but we bought our tickets ahead of time and jumped the queue. The view from the top is superb but be prepared for 284 steps up and then back. You get a 360 view of all of Paris. The Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile is one of the most famous monuments in Paris, standing at the western end of the Champs-Élysées at the centre of Place Charles de Gaulle. It was built in 1806 to commemorate all the French people who died in wars.

    The subway system RER was our savior as we got a day ticket and plotted our next journey.

    We decided to check out a few spots from Emily in Paris which was a tv series we recently enjoyed at home. First was Gabriel’s restaurant which is really Terra Nera. The owner hates all the photographers, but we still grabbed a pic or two.

    Next stop Pantheon which was really close and then back on the tube to Colonnes de Buren at Palau’s Royal. This was in an episode where Emily filmed a perfume ad, and her Instagram account went ballistic.

    We walked a lot today and saw heaps. Paris is an enchanting place; we wish they could do better with the litter everywhere.
    Read more