Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Last Post in Ypres, Belgium

    June 30, 2023 in Belgium ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Last night we went to Ypres which is where every evening at 8pm they close the Menin Arch to present the Last Post ceremony.

    We drove through the arch into the main town square where we were lucky to find a park and then grab a meal at one of the many restaurants on offer.

    We walked back towards the arch and found some Belgium chocolate shops. Couldn’t resist a quick purchase.

    The Menin Arch is undergoing a major renovation and clean, so our pictures are not that great. The ones below are “borrowed”.

    The site of the Menin Gate was chosen because of the hundreds of thousands of men who passed through it on their way to the battlefields. It commemorates casualties from the forces of Australia, Canada, India, South Africa and United Kingdom who died in the war.

    A huge crowd gathers which is amazing given this occurs every night. The area around Ypres is where the majority of The Great War (later named WW1) fighting occurred.

    The town council meets the school children, veterans, dignitaries and military personnel that are going to participate in the Last Post service. There is a young man, whom we later learn was a student from somewhere in UK, was the bag piper for the night. He did an amazing job. Just as it starts, we are told not to applaud.

    Wreaths are laid and the service is quite moving. It is great to see so many young people paying their respect while everyone is silent.

    Afterwards the crowd quietly disperses.

    Our drive back to Dunkerque was under an hour and we enjoyed a beautiful sunset from the balcony.

    Today is now a catch-up day. Lots of FaceTime with friends and family, a walk on the beach, laundry time and tonight we are doing seafood. Mussels are a specialty in this part of the world!
    Read more