Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Manchester locally

    July 12, 2023 in England ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    No trips today just getting out and about in local Manchester.

    The girls went to Elizabeth Gaskell house which is an old Victorian property where Gail volunteers. Elizabeth was the owner and became a famous English writer. Regarded as ‘one of the greatest female novelists of all time’ Elizabeth Gaskell was born in 1810 and lived at 84 Plymouth Grove in Manchester with her family from 1850 until her death in 1865. Elizabeth welcomed guests such as Charles Dickens and Charlotte Bronte to her House and mixed with a cross section of Victorian society from the poor of the workhouse to the likes of Florence Nightingale and Charles Darwin.

    Alan and I visited the Imperial War Museum which had a focus on how Manchester coped during the war.

    Everything is quite local to their house which is on the river. You can see the Manchester United stadium not far away. If you have a lazy US$6 billion, they are for sale.

    Further down from the museum is the Coronation Street set and filming studio. Yes, it is still in production!

    Alan took me to The Britons Protection pub. It was the scene of a violent local political rally in 1904 where 15 demonstrators died. I was pleased to see my ancestor's whiskey on sale although I had a beer.

    We passed the Midland hotel walking back into town. In the entrance was a 1939 Rolls Royce. This was the hotel where monsieur’s Charles Rolls and Henry Royce met for afternoon tea and decided to try their hand at building cars.

    A quick stop at the state library and we then rendezvoused with the girls at Sam’s Chop House for a late lunch.

    We had to back track to find a misplaced umbrella which became another excuse for another drop.

    Home on a tram and relaxed to plan tomorrow. We will be on the move again.
    Read more