Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Olympia

    July 20, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Only a 10-minute drive to the archeological site of the Ancient Olympics. This is where we have all seen the lighting of the Olympic torch as it begins its journey to the countries holding the games.

    As we enter the grounds you can see archeologists painstakingly revealing what was once the gymnasium. The whole area was destroyed by the invasions, earthquakes and finally floods covered everything in mud. The revealing started in 1875.

    The fascinating story here is that it all started in the 4th century BC when there was a plan devised to stop or reduce all the civil wars within Greece. The idea being that competing for sports was to become the focus, not fighting.

    Athletes were not only required to excel in a sport, but they also had to attend studies in astronomy, writing, numeracy, language and history. They believed knowledge gave freedom. All the athletes performed naked. No women were involved. They tended to stay home and look after the family.

    Over 45,000 people travel from all over the country to gather to watch athletes wanting to become the champion of sports that included running, discus, boxing and javelin. If you won, you were treated like a god and a statue would be built in your honor. We sat on the bases where statues once were on display beside the entrance to the stadium.

    Entering the stadium was a surreal feeling. Just before we did this we stood where the torch is lit. This ceremony will occur early next year for the Paris Olympics. We have seen this ceremony many times but today it made it more meaningful.

    To the left of the stadium entry archway were the statues of shame. These were the cheats or athletes who broke the rules. To the right were of course the champions so the athletes could look and see on approach which would give them greatness.

    I walked the running field while Sharon posed on the original marble starting line. Imagine what it would have been like 2500 years ago.

    There was so much historical significance to absorb today that I can’t fit it into this blog. The museum provided an insight into the actual pieces found in the site. There was once a 30 metre statue of Zeus that had 250kg of gold and many valuable jewels. It was in the centre of the site. Sadly, invaders destroyed it and melted it down, but they found the workshop and moulds where it was constructed in pieces.

    Lunch was at a world class family operated olive grove. They have won many awards for their olive oil, and we were shown their processing plant and of course we tasted their products. The heat has now caught up with us, so we retreated to the hotel for some quiet time.

    Our evening was hilarious. A nearby restaurant is famous for holding major events in Olympia. This includes the dignitaries that come here to light the Olympic torch.

    Our experience is different. We got to volunteer to cook Greek appetizers with the chef. I volunteered and made tzatziki which was delicious and very garlicky.

    After the buffet and with the help of a few wines we were graced with a Greek dancer who coerced us onto the dance floor. The men later did a dance that was to attract women who expressed their interest by smashing plates at our feet. It was just a great night with heaps of laughs.

    The owner has a collection of Olympic flame torches that gave a great photo opportunity.

    Early start tomorrow as we head back to Athens.
    Read more