Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Kyoto Day Tour

    April 9 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Our first night here was really wet. We walked a long way to see the blooms by the river but unfortunately we got caught in the downpour.

    In the canal they cleverly put a piece of wood across the water to build up the falling blossom so it looks pink. Magnificent.

    This is a thriving city and crowd looks young and more affluent. The main street has all the big brand stores. We also spotted our first genuine Geishas getting out of a taxi and shuffling into a restaurant.

    I noticed a Pokémon machine that costs 200 yen to knock a card into your tray. We watched kid have a few goes and Sharon stepped up and got two! The kid was not impressed.

    This morning we walked along the Philosopher’s Path, running alongside the Lake Biwa Canal. It’s perfect for a slow stroll under the fragrant blossoms. Nearby we entered Ginkakuji temple and has been one of the highlights of our trip. The Japanese gardens were immaculate and tranquil. Just how you would imagine. The girl's stamp books were hand done much to their delight.

    Lunchtime was at a temple which also had excellent gardens and buildings. You learn the difference between temples and shrines. You worship your god at temples but at shrine you hope for life goals and good life.

    Kinkaku-ji temple is a UNESCO site and the busiest one in Kyoto. We were warned about massive crowds but it wasn’t that unbearable. The temple is famous for being gold plated so no wonder it is popular.
    Read more