Satellite
  • Day 1

    London Calling

    September 4, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Departure day has finally arrived - Yeah! We still have a few more hours till we head to the airport.. we are pretty much packed, so a leisurely morning ahead. Making sure Angus has everything he needs for the next six weeks is our final checklist. The route we are taking to Europe is on the QANTAS Dreamliner which has a stop in Perth and then non-stop to London. We will arrive in London on Thursday morning (5.15), and fortunately our AirBnb host has advised we can get early access to the apartment, which is fabulous. We had planned to just store our luggage and schlep around London till check-in at 3pm, but now we can go straight to the apartment, freshen up, unpack and then hit the town.

    The flight was pretty uneventful but I didn’t get much sleep. I watched 2 seasons of Fleabag, which was great, as well as a Scottish mini series called Victim. I also rewatched Rocketman and the final Harry Potter film.

    We arrived in London at 4.50am, and breezed through passport control as Australians can now use the e gates. Caught the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station, where we hung around till it was time to head over to our apartment in Covet Gardens. Unfortunately, our host got stuck on public transport, and was 30 minutes late meeting us. We are in a wonderful part of London and the apartment is lovely. After showers and a bit of getting organised, we grabbed some lunch and then walked to the Tower of London - which is quite a walk! Wandered around the Tower for a couple of hours, then headed back to our apartment making use of the underground and Oyster cards (thanks Sue and Ross).
    Read more