Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The Kelpies

    August 11, 2023 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    The Kelpies are 30-metre-high (98 ft) horse-head sculptures depicting kelpies (shape-shifting water spirits), located between Falkirk and Grangemouth, but the Kelpies themselves are situated in Grangemouth, standing next to an extension to the Forth and Clyde Canal, and near the River Carron, in The Helix, a parkland project built to connect sixteen communities in the Falkirk Council Area, Scotland. The sculptures were designed by sculptor Andy Scott and were completed in October 2013. The sculptures form a gateway at the eastern entrance to the Forth and Clyde canal, and the canal extension built as part of The Helix land transformation project.

    Baron, head up
    Duke, head down

    A kelpie, or water kelpie (Scottish Gaelic: Each-Uisge), is a shape-shifting spirit inhabiting lochs in Irish and Scottish folklore. It is usually described as a black horse-like creature, able to adopt human form. Some accounts state that the kelpie retains its hooves when appearing as a human, leading to its association with the Christian idea of Satan as alluded to by Robert Burns in his 1786 poem "Address to the Devil".
    Read more