Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The Glenturret Distillery

    August 11, 2023 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    By hand & heart. Crafted at Scotland's Oldest Working Distillery since 1763 entirely by hand in exclusive small batches, The Glenturret Single Malt is defined by its outstanding quality and exquisite taste.

    It was very interesting learning about how whiskey is made. The whiskey has to be casked for a minimum of 3 years before it can be called Scotch Whiskey.

    Towser, a female long-haired tortoiseshell cat, the resident feline pest control expert at Glenturret from 1963 till 1987, was an officially recognised record breaker. Her record-breaking victim count was estimated as 28,899 mice, which were laid out on the Still House floor each morning to be inspected by the stillman. The auditors for the Guinness Book of Records observed Towser's prowess over a number of days, and her total kill count was estimated statistically. She was commemorated by a bronze statue at the visitor's centre at Glenturret and her story was featured on BBC Television's Blue Peter. Her paw prints also decorate the label on a bottle of Fairlie's light Highland Liqueur. Her immediate successors were Dylan and Brooke, who were chosen for their friendliness and photogenic looks rather than for their mousing skills. The distillery currently "employs" Glen, an orange tabby, and Turret, a gray tabby for mousing duties.

    I met one of the distilleries cats 'Turret', first picture up on the counter, he was more interested in the treat draw.
    Read more