Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Changing the Guard

    August 21, 2023 in England ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    The Changing of the Guard is the official ceremony when the Foot Guards currently guarding the monarchy (the Old Guard) are released from their duty, to be replaced with new soldiers (the New Guard).

    Whilst Kings had always had an army of men protecting them, it wasn’t an official institution until Henry VII made the Royal Body Guard a permanent job role. This means that these soldiers have been guarding Kings and Queens for over 520 years – in other words, they’re pretty good at their jobs.

    The Old Guard hands over the responsibility for protecting the palace to the New Guard – along with a ceremonial set of keys to the palace. This is officially known as Guards Mounting.

    The King's Life Guard, mounted on immaculately groomed horses with swords drawn and breastplates shinning in the sun, can be seen at Horse Guards.

    Horse Guards, named after the troops who have protected the Sovereign since the Restoration of King Charles II in 1660, is today the official entrance to Buckingham Palace and St James's Palace.

    The King's Life Guard change on Horse Guards Parade, which was originally the courtyard in the middle of Henry VIII’s Royal Palace of Whitehall, and is now the ceremonial parade ground used for royal and ceremonial events throughout the year.
    Read more