Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2

    February 7 in Turkey ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    European Istanbul

    After what I can only describe as a not so ideal first impression of this city after last night's taxi debacle, we awoke at 8am for an included 'traditional Turkish breakfast' at our hostel. Having nothing to compare it to except a bowl of Wheetabix or a plate of toast, it was bloody lovely. I couldn't name half the things on my plate but with a buffet style selection and unlimited fresh orange juice I wasn't one to complain.

    After last night's planning our precise plan was to aimlessly wander around, letting our hearts do the navigation and hopefully find a SIM along the way. Wandering only a couple minutes from our hostel, we realised that we had stumbled across the Hagia Sophi, however if turns out that there is now a charge as of a few weeks ago of over £20. Very frustrating, but we move on for now. Attempting to explore the Topkapi Palace Museum, we are also blocked by another charge, move on again. We then stumble our way onto the Blue Mosque which was free and absolutely beautiful. Learning the etiquette of entering a Mosque, we remove our shoes and lower our sleeves and take in the immense architecture. Dotted about were leaflets about Islam which proved interesting.

    After breakfast and the Blue Mosque, we were finally starting to get some wins which was releiving to say the least. Further meandering about, the streets are laced with food carts selling either grilled corn on the cob and roasted chestnuts, or various simits (Bagels) and for only 26p, it was a must. Of course we were in tourist central so everything was more expensive, but this still seemed very reasonable. This is where we did a little shopping for a SIM and found a 10GB deal for less than £20 which seemed fair enough as we only needed it til Friday.

    Eventually we stumble across the Grand Bazaar, which I (perhaps controversially) thought was an uninteresting maze of jewellery, designer clothes, and ornaments. Repeat those 3 things 1000 times every meter in every direction and that's the Grand Bazaar. Eventually we find our way out from the labyrinth of salesmen, unsuccessful on our mini knock off Croc expedition. Stumbling our way through the Egyptian Bazaar, and various oddly defined districts (including the underwear zone), we decide to cross the bridge and head North into Karaköy.

    Following the metro line North, we discoved the power tool district, looked up at the Galata Tower (another paid entry - plus the top floor with the best views was shut so definitely not worth it), and the walked back along the sea passing the Istanbul Modern (more paid entry!!). Eventually we head back to our favourite restaurant where we are now locals (Hayat Cafe) and grab some grub - with our lovely host giving us some tea to end the meal with on the house. After befriending yet another precious cat, it was now time to bite the bullet and pay for entrance to the Hagia Sofia. Simply, it probably wasn't worth it, but we couldn't come to Istanbul and not go. We were lucky that it was so empty and it was definitely grandiose - just not particularly £20 grandiose.

    Grabbing some overpriced Baklava, we sit by the fountain and take in the atmosphere of the sound of prayer and the view of the Blue Mosque and try our new treat. I thought it was super tasty, but Alfie was not the biggest fan. Ending a day of terrible attempts at Turkish, we make some more solid plans for the next day and our transfers to and from the airport for Friday.
    Read more